The Great Miami River Clean Up has been taking place for several years. It started in the northern sections of the watershed and was then taken on by addditional partners to now encompass the entire length of the river. Over the years many tons of garbage have been collected. Here are the results from each year's event. in the southern section (from Middletown to the Ohio River)
- Tons:17.3 tons of garbage with includes 228 tires
- Volunteers: 422
- Anyone lose a safe!?! A small personal safe was found along with soggy, destroyed contents. It's amazing the things you find during a river cleanup!
- Event will be held October 22, 2016
- Cancelled due to flooding
- Garbage:. 11.77 tons and 67 tires.
- Volunteers: Over 440
- Garbage:. Over 6 tons of garbage with over 9 tons of tires
- Volunteers: Over 300
- Weird items: a 1 ton tractor tire
- Tons:16.17 tons of garbage with includes 437 tires
- Volunteers: 652
- Tons:. 4.62 tons of trash with 6.63 tons of tires
- Volunteers: 263
- Tons:8.5 with 220 tires.
- Volunteers: 569
- Weird items: Concrete statues, lingerie, wings from a model plane, half a portalet, and a 11" bass that jumped into the boat!
- Tons:. 13.88 with 3.97 tons of tires
- Volunteers: 311
- Weird items:
- Tons:16.7 with 401 tires.
- Weird items: Bike gear with pedals and chain, but no bike; male enhancing pump; cash register; and purse with credit cards.
- Due to the amount, and type, of trash picked up at Sydney, theShelby Co.Sheriff's Dept. is now investigating.
A group cleaning from Quincy to the south edge of Sidney discovered and removed 3,000 pounds of items from the area of Custenborder Field to Roadside Park.
The Sheriff's Office is seeking the public's assistance in finding people responsible for trash dumping. Anyone with information is asked to call (937) 498-1111 or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at (937) 492-8477
- Tons: 4.1 and 2.48 tons of tires. This year 3 of the sites were closed due to flooding.
- Volunteers: 305
- Weird items: Huge tractor tire and a child's bike that was in great shape. Enough furniture to fill your home including a sofa and couch, or build your home with shingles and drywall. Also some ugly Chirstmas and Halloween decorations.
- Tons: 12.9 with 249 tires
- Volunteers: 464
- Weird Items:
Loaded 9mm gun!.
- River Miles: 33
- Tons: 10.6
- Volunteers: 230 which was pretty amazing onsidering the heavy rain
- Weird Items: Stage coach suspension and over 940 lbs of scrap iron from rail road spikes, clamps, and plates.
- Tons: 20.7 with 221 tires
- Volunteers: 450
- Weird Items:
2000 Adena infant skull. Impression on the forehead from the binding structure. Buried canoe from 1965. Lingerie!
- River Miles: 75.5
- Tons: approx 8, including over 350 tires
- Volunteers: 262
- Weird Items:
Prosthetic leg, container of chemicals that was sent away for testing, mannequin
- Tons: 9.375, including 352 tires
- Volunteers: 389
- Weird Items:Frankenstein mask, time capsule, bowling ball, and homemade track and field hurdles. Several of the sites were overwhelmed by the amount of roofing shingles that had been dumped in the river.
- Tons: 8 with about 500 tires
- Volunteers: 237
- Weird Items: car axel and interior door panels- where's the rest of the car?